Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Believers by Zoe Heller

Flap Copy from ARC:
"When New York radical lawyer Joel Litvinoff is felled by a stroke, his wife, Audrey, uncovers a secret that forces her to re-examine her ideas about him and their forty-year marriage. Joel's adult children will soon have to come to terms with this unsettling discovery themselves, but for the meantime, they are grappling with their own dilemmas ... "

I was really looking forward to reading this book because I loved Notes on a Scandal, but finishing this book was a chore. My thoughts were pretty aptly summed up over at Streetcorner Library. Despite the quality of Heller's writing, my inability to empathize with any of the characters made it impossible for me to enjoy this book.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I've read both review and it doesn't seem this story is a winner. I'll read it anyway as I owe them a review. But it's nice to see an honest review.