Monday, February 3, 2020

Misfit Match by Sydney Ann Clary

He had rescued her. Now she would rescue him.

At the age of twenty, Catherine Carr was at the mercy of her aunt and her three cousins. Treated no better than a slave and threatened with an odious marriage, Catherine decided to escape.

As it would happen, she was rescued by Marcus, the Earl of Barrington, whom she had always secretly loved. Marcus, scarred in the war, had returned to London only to be cruelly rejected by his fiancee, Catherine's cousin.

Perceiving marriage would answer to both their needs, Marcus proposed and Catherine accepted. Knowing he did not love her did not change her determination to free him from his bonds of bitterness. She would gladly have paid any price, never suspecting how great the reward.


REVIEW:
I picked up Misfit Match because I love another one of Clary's books (The Duchess and the Devil) and was hoping to find the same magic; sadly I did not. The book was a fine read with an interesting plot, but I just didn't find that same connection to the characters. I only finished it a couple of weeks ago, and already I have a hard time remembering much of anything about the specifics. Catherine's family was terrible but I thought Marcus could have done a much better job of rescuing her from them, and Catherine herself was too dithery for my taste. I also thought there was too much that went unsaid- this book would definitely have been longer to let us see Catherine and Marcus actually develop a relationship. An OK read but not one I'm likely to pick up again. 3 stars.

No comments: