Sunday, November 16, 2008

Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland

I have to confess from the start that paranormal romance is not my favorite genre, mostly because it is so often poorly conceived and executed. Though the pacing and tone of this book started out unevenly for me, I was surprised to find myself mildly enjoying it for a few chapters.

The entire book headed downhill in my opinion once the main character discovered her unique talent- the author seemed to take entirely too much pleasure from extremely non-consensual sex for my comfort level. (I can't say more without seriously spoiling the plot.) The quality of writing dramatically sloped off as well in the second half of the book, making it extremely difficult to finish.

The book is obviously the start of a new series, but I for one won't be waiting for the next installment.

No comments: