Monday, May 4, 2009

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Flap Copy:
"In the turbulent summer of 1974, Kate Mularkey has accepted her place at the bottom of the eigth-grade social food chain. Then, to her amazement, the "coolest girl in the world" moves in across the street and wants to be her friend. Tully Hart seems to have it all- beauty, brains, ambition. On the surfacethey are as opposite as two people can be: Kate, doomed to be forever uncool, with a loving family who mortifies her at every turn. Tully, steeped in glamour and mystery, but with a secret that is destroying her. They make a pact to be best friends forever; by summer's end they've become TullyandKate. Inseparable."

I read this book back in January, but just couldn't seem to craft a review. It was a compelling book- I started it one afternoon, and read right through the night until it was finished. The book made me laugh and cry, and reminded me a little of Beaches except that the characters were deeper and definitely more complicated. Though both Tully and Kate start as almost stereotypical caricatures, their idiosyncracies are gradually revealed and they become much more real.

I'm not sure I truly liked either character, I did think the book itself was excellent. The evolving story spoke to me and kept me reading despite my ambivalence about the individual personalities. I imagine this book would be especially moving for anyone who has been touched by cancer. Highly recommended.

No comments: